Monday, March 18, 2013

Planting Peas on St Patricks Day



This year I planted my peas on St. Patty's Day here in zone 6.



And I planted them while it was snowing....


because this is the winter that just won't quit.




Yes, yes that is a large flower pot with a tomato cage on top.



This works well for me as it grows as many peas as I can eat and

when they are done I can plant basil in the pot.




That's just a hint of my over-wintered sage and parsley in the pot next to it.


The backside of my house has a patio and faces south which 

creates its own little micro-climate allowing me to overwinter some potted herbs.





Since I put in a raised bed on Saturday I had to plant something in it!







This is a cedar raised bed kit from Home Depot.


I put it where my garden has been for the last 4 years.



I put it in because I am tired, dog tired, of 

dealing with the quakgrass in this bed.


You can see last years remnants around the sides of the bed.


The only way to get rid of quakgrass is to repeatedly spray it with Roundup.


That is just not going to happen in my organic vegetable garden!


And while I am in a bitchy mood about the quakgrass...

I would like to thank my neighbors for the not-so-lovely-addition to my garden.


On a much brighter note...


Here's a close up of the radish and lettuce seeds I planted.




Yes, those are sticks marking the rows of seed.


We had heavy rain overnight so I'm hoping for some germination...


if it ever warms up....





Happy Gardening!


The Lazy Gardener 








This week I am joining these wonderful blog parties:




1 comment:

  1. Off to a good start! Happy Spring :)
    Visiting from A Southern Daydreamer

    ReplyDelete